Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Treasures on Earth

I have decided that in this life on earth, this worldly existence, it all comes down to family/friends.

I understand the significance of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I agree with the basic needs (Physiological and Safety) - but they are just that basic, obvious. For me, it all starts and stops with "love and belonging" - family/friends.

Furthermore, I understand the importance of Faith. The undeniable truth of a supreme being that guides our path.

But as I navigate through this earthly realm - it is people, relationships that define my daily experience. I am enriched (or harmed) by the relationships I make, pursue, nurture or neglect.

My lowest points are when I realize I have hurt my spouse, ignored my children or wronged a friend. Sunday School lessons are built on the premise of "you can't take your treasures with you." Is that true? If your treasures are the connections you make with other people - will they pass on to the afterlife?

Look at the definition of "friend":

1. A person you know well and regard with affection and trust.
2. An associate who provides cooperation, support or assistance.

How is a new car better? What use is an extra bedroom? What would you do with an extra $5 an hour?

I treasure my family and friends more than earthly possessions. They are my treasure on earth.

"Lord, Help me treat my family and friends with the respect they deserve. Never let them question my feelings or be concerned about my intentions. Bless each of them as they have truly blessed me."

No Regrets.

1 comment: