Monday, August 23, 2010

What I Want

I was recently asked to participate in an exercise to develop a compensation package. The form was simple in design – “What do you want? Rank from “A” to “C.”

At first, the thought of filling out the form was exciting - "tabula rasa.” But it soon became difficult – then impossible. What can start as compensation can quickly become handcuffs.

After I submitted the document, I begin to formulate a list of what I REALLY want.

I want to be the husband my wife deserves.
I want to be the father my children need.
I want to be the son my mother has earned.
I want Christian men for my two daughters when they are ready to date.
I want to earn the respect of my co-workers.
I want to control my free-will.
I want to hear “Well done, good and faithful servant” when my journey is done.
I want patience.
I want to listen with my heart when a friend talks.
I want to not be quick to judge.
I want the ability to forgive as easily as I ask for forgiveness.

No Regrets.

1 comment: